Noise pollution is one of the types of pollution which affects the environment very badly and is one of the
alarming situations which are increasing day by day due to unwanted or excessive sounds in the environment.
Noise pollution majorly affects the quality of a healthy ecosystem. Its arises due to factory and industrial area
and traffic from the vehicles on the highway, railway, and airplane and construction activities.
According to the World Health Organization, if the level of excessive sound is below the 70dB level, then it
will not damage the environment irrespective of how long or consistent exposure is but if the exposure of
noise pollution is more than 8 hours and sound is beyond 85 dB then it will definitely affect the environment
and habitats. So, take care of yourself when you work near a busy road or highway because here noise
pollution is generally around the 85dB mark.
In our daily routine, we see the source of different types of noise pollution, and below is the list through which
you can easily figure out :
● Excessive sounds coming from household items like television, music player, vacuum cleaners,
fans, and coolers, washing machines, dishwashers, lawnmowers, etc.
● Vehicle sounds from cars, buses, pedestrians, ambulances, etc.
● Drilling or heavy machine sounds at the construction site.
● Sounds of airplanes, taking off or landing.
● Loud music played for more than several hours.
● Unwanted sounds coming from fans, generators, compressors, mills, and industries.
● Excessive sounds from the train and or at the railway station.
Effects of Noise Pollution on Human Being:
Noise pollution affects the health of humans because excessive sound is very much difficult to handle by
the human brain for longer times. Some of the effects are below :
● Poor Concentration-Your ability to concentrate on your work is reduced which leads to
disturbing you’re work-life balance.
● Hypertension -When you hear the excessive sound then it elevated the blood levels of your body
for a longer period of time.
● Hearing loss -When you listening to loud music in your headphone it will directly harm your
ear and as a result, you will lose the hearing ability.
● Sleep disturbances-Well, due to noise pollution sleep disturbance is very much common
nowadays and you really need to focus to not disturb your sleeping pattern just because of noise
● Child development.-Actually, children’s organs are very much sensitive which directly gets
affected resulting in affecting the development of children’s and its advisable to take care of your
children to not use high-volume music players and also don’t visit the place where the excessive sound
● Cardiovascular dysfunctions-Due to increases in blood pressure which results in the dysfunctions
● Dementia -it might be happened due to noise pollution but not always.
● Stress and Noise Annoyance-It increases the anxiety level of a normal man and starts creating
Effects of Noise Pollution on Organism living on Land and in Ocean:
Well, Noise pollution affects wildlife on land and marine life inside the ocean. Nowadays, inside the oceans,
numbers of excessive sound-making activities are carried on like oil drilling, sonars scanning, seismic survey
devices, coastal recreational watercraft, and shipping vessels are which are continuously moving from one place to another causing lots of noise pollution which disturbs marine life and due to which oceans ambiance is no longer quiet and there’s always some noises coming from deep inside the ocean. The most affected
creature is a whale for which its hearing ability lets them orients themselves and through which they feed and
communicate amongst themselves.
Noise pollution affects the whale’s and dolphins feeding habits and also their reproductive patterns and
migration routes, and can even cause the death of dolphins and whales inside the ocean.
On the land, animals are also affected due to the noise pollution which comes from traffic, firecrackers, and
many more sources. Birds are getting disturbed due to excessive sound and due to which they have migrated
from one place to another in order to get peace and feel safe.
Tips for Avoiding Noise Pollution
● Wearing earplugs whenever you are going to a noisy place.
● You can easily maintain the level of sounds like 35 dB in your bedroom at night, and around 40 dB
in your house during the day.
● Always choose to take the house away from the heavy traffic area and far away from an
● Try to avoid taking jobs at elevated sound levels area.
● Close the window of your house if the unwanted sound is continuously coming in.
● Use the soundproofing system when there are lots of noises are produced.
● Use the noise cancellation device when excessive sound is generated.
Always take the precaution when exposed to elevated sound place and don’t create noise pollution and help
maintain the calmness in our environment.